PRINCIPLES WE SUPPORT:
* We need a “green housing” program that retrofits millions of units, slashes energy use, puts energy bill savings back in consumers’ pockets, and pays costs back to the state.
* As we grow the green economy, we must ensure that the green collar jobs we create are quality jobs that provide pathways out of poverty. The state retrofit program must include commitments to paying family-sustaining wages, local hiring, expanding apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship programs, and creating access to jobs and to job-linked training for unemployed populations.
* We need a greening program that activates New York owners and renters to upgrade their homes to make them more energy efficient, but does not require working families and low-income people to spend money up front.
* Greening our housing stock should not be a financial burden on homeowners, renters or the state. Retrofits produce such good returns that we can leverage private capital to finance up-front costs, and homeowners can repay costs as they save on energy bills.
* A large-scale retrofit program should be implemented by the state, which can build in public benefit and make sure broader environmental and equitable economic development goals are met.
For more information:
- New Fact Sheet: Roadmap for Green Jobs / Green Homes
Campaign: Dave Palmer, Director, Green Jobs/Green Homes NY Campaign, Working Families Organization, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Policy: Emmaia Gelman, Senior Policy Organizer, Center for Working Families, email@example.com.