October 5, 2014 – For the third year in a row, the Sikh Coalition successfully kicked off another year-long Junior Sikh Coalition (JSC) program in New York City. After completing a rigorous application process, 17 youth from Connecticut, New Jersey and New York joined the group, bringing the total to 31 youth members!
The new team began their 2014-2015 year with Social Justice Boot Camp, a week-long intensive leadership training on community organizing and advocacy. The Sikhi-inspired social justice training introduced youth to tools that will help amplify the voices of Sikh youth throughout the country. The Sikh Coalition hosted a reception at the end of boot camp to welcome the new JSC members and their families to the team. The reception also honored the work and dedication of graduating JSC members.
Click here for photos from the reception.
The graduating team has a long list of accomplishments to celebrate. They have:
- Received a wide array of media coverage, including but not limited to ABC News and CUNY TV
- Participated in an NBC News Education Nation Student Town Hall, moderated by MSNBC’s Melissa Harris-Perry
- Presented numerous anti-bullying workshops to youth across the tri-state area
- Presented numerous Nirbhau Nirvair art workshops to youth across the tri-state area
- Competed in the Interfaith Center's Debate in the Neighborhood Tournament after 12 weeks of intensive debate and free speech training
- Attended events and initiatives of partner organizations, such as Surat Initiative's 5K in NYC, Turban Day NYC, and the Sikh Cultural Society's Vaisakhi 5K
- Informed non-Sikh New Yorkers about Sikhi at the 2014 NYC Sikh Day Parade
- Underwent rigorous training in social justice, advocacy, and civil activism
After boot camp, JSC members attended Camp Chardi Kala (CCK)
where they spent the week building sangat (community) with Sikh youth, understanding the connection between Sikhi and activism and deepening their personal connection to Sikhi. In addition, the JSC held anti-bullying workshops to educate campers on their rights in school.
for photos from Camp Chardi Kala.
We would like to thank the generous donors that enabled the entire JSC team to attend CCK.
If you would like to help financially support the Junior Sikh Coalition’s weekly meetings, trainings and seminars for other Sikh youth, please click here
We are extremely proud of last year’s Junior Sikh Coalition members and are very excited for this year’s team to build on their predecessors’ work and drive even more social change in their communities.
If you have any questions, please contact the Junior Sikh Coalition