July 20, 2015 (New York, NY) - We’re hiring! The Sikh Coalition is expanding its Legal Program to provide even more legal services to Sikhs nationwide. The Sikh Coalition seeks a highly motivated staff attorney, based in the organization’s New York City office, to join us on the forefront of our highly reputable religious rights and anti-discrimination work. Are you that attorney?
This position is open only to attorneys admitted to at least one U.S. based jurisdiction, preferably New York. For more details, please visit www.sikhcoalition.org/get-involved/jobs.
The staff attorney will work as part of the Sikh Coalition’s Legal Program, which provides legal assistance to Sikhs who have been discriminated against or subject to bias based upon their religious beliefs or Sikh identity. Over the past fourteen years, our attorneys have successfully litigated cases against major government and corporate employers alike, creating game-changing legal precedents and opening up opportunities for Sikhs to fearlessly live, congregate, work, play, learn, and raise our children in America. Our Legal Program is committed to ensuring that no Sikh ever has to choose between his or her faith and the American dream.
The Legal Program takes on cases depending upon its ability to provide a superior level of quality service and prioritizes cases that have a high impact for the Sikh community. These cases generally include hate crimes, employment discrimination, bias-based school bullying, religion-based discrimination, profiling and other forms of discrimination.
Responsibilities will include:
- Represent and advocate on behalf of Sikhs in a wide range of civil rights matters;
- Analyze clients’ claims under relevant law, advise clients and take appropriate legal action;
- Conduct legal research, and draft legal memoranda and pleadings;
- Conduct all aspects of litigation (strategizing, drafting pleadings, conducting discovery, etc.) in civil cases before state and federal courts and administrative bodies;
- Recruit pro bono counsel and collaborate with other attorneys and organizations;
- Represent the Sikh Coalition at a variety of meetings and speaking engagements, and to the press and media outlets.
- Bachelors' and Juris Doctor degrees required;
- Bar membership in at least one U.S. based jurisdiction, preferably New York;
- At least 1-3 years of previous legal experience, preferably litigating;
- Demonstrated passion for social justice;
- Have compassion for clients and be able to connect with and gain the trust of community members of diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent written, oral and analytical skills;
- Punjabi language skills a plus.
: Commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, pension matching program, vacation and sick leave. Annual bar membership dues and CLE fees are reimbursed.
For more details, please visit www.sikhcoalition.org/get-involved/jobs
This is a full-time position that reports to the Sikh Coalition’s Legal Director.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
. We may ask for writing samples, law school transcripts and references before
The Sikh Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer