July 31, 2015 (New York, NY) – Over the past two months, the Sikh Coalition’s media team has reached at least 110 million Americans through our strategic media engagement. Will you help us reach the next 100 million?
If you have a background in using media and communications as a tool for moving advocacy issues forward, with an interest in raising the profile of the Sikh American voice, then you could be our next Media and Communications Associate.
The Sikh Coalition’s Media and Communications Associate will be managed directly by the Senior Director of Media and Communications and will be responsible for providing direct support on our numerous traditional and social media campaigns.
The Sikh Coalition continues to develop a team of hard-working, deeply talented individuals who care about empowering change for Sikh Americans through the courtrooms, classrooms, Congress, and the community. Our media and communications work is a key facet in all of these areas of our work. As a member of our media team, you will have the opportunity to learn about, contribute to, and eventually manage sophisticated media projects with some of the most influential media outlets in the world.
The Sikh Coalition’s Media and Communications Associate will be based at the Sikh Coalition’s national headquarters in New York City and managed directly by our Senior Director of Media and Communications, who is based in California.
Some responsibilities will include:
- Helping to develop and then execute innovative social media and online campaigns around our policy and advocacy goals.
- Implementing both the short-term and long-term plans for increasing the organization’s online presence and following through social media
- Maintain, monitor and respond on the Sikh Coalition’s numerous social media platforms
- Manage design, production and dissemination of publications including annual reports, programmatic newsletters and donor communications.
- Devour the news on our advocacy issues on a daily basis, and identify opportunities for our organization to engage media in a proactive manner because of it.
- Manage video and film projects as needed.
- A bachelor’s degree and at least two years of experience in the area of journalism, public relations, social media organizing, or communications.
- Experience in developing graphic content, with a working knowledge of how to use Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign and a strong desire to learn more.
- Experience with basic video editing, particularly Final Cut Pro, and a strong desire to learn more.
- Exceptional writing ability, including proofreading and editing skills.
- Enjoys monitoring the 24-hour news cycle on a daily basis to identify opportunities for traditional and social media engagement.
- Strong understanding of how social media platforms work and the best strategies for optimizing them for our organizational engagement.
- Understanding of news values and the basic needs of reporters, editors and producers.
- Experience with CRM, CMS, online advocacy and email tools, including WordPress, Salesforce, and knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Experience working with printers, filmmakers and artists.
- Punjabi language skills are strongly preferred.
- Previous experience, volunteer or professional, working with the Sikh community is preferred.
Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, pension matching program, vacation and sick leave. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply for the position, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
. We will ask for writing samples and references before interviewing.
For more details, please visit www.sikhcoalition.org/get-involved/jobs
The Sikh Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.