April 21, 2016 (New York, NY) - The Sikh Coalition is pleased to announce an exciting partnership with UK-based photographers Amit and Naroop as we collaborate to bring the Singh Project, a striking and critically-acclaimed photography exhibition, to the United States.
The Singh Project explores the style and symbolism of the Sikh articles of faith -- in particular, the turban and beard. The original Singh Project featured 36 portraits of British Sikhs and demonstrated the diversity and beauty of the Sikh turban. The new American portraits will feature a combination of iconic Sikh Americans that have previously made an impression on the American psyche, along with untold stories that illustrate the complex Sikh American experience.
The Singh Project is an incredible opportunity to share a positive narrative of Sikhs in America and is explicitly aimed at countering bigotry, while emphasizing an empowering narrative on behalf of the community. The American edition of the Singh Project is slated to launch in the second half of 2016.
Amit and Naroop, in partnership with the Sikh Coalition, are currently casting for the Singh Project -- U.S. edition! To that end, we are inviting turbaned Sikh Americans of all ages and genders to take part in this groundbreaking project.
If you, or someone you know, would like to help us tell the story of Sikh America through this dynamic project, we welcome you to enter your submission here by 11:59pm EST on Sunday, May 1st.
We ask that you submit up to three photographs of yourself and a brief essay (of no more than 250 words) explaining what the turban means to you.
- Due to the volume of submissions, we are only able to contact those selected to move on to the next round of consideration. We will let you know by Wednesday, May 18th.
- The Sikh Coalition cannot provide reimbursement for travel to or accommodations in New York City.
- In order to be considered, you must be a resident of the United States.
- Even if you are selected and photographed, this does not guarantee that your portrait will be included in the final exhibition. Decisions of who will be included in the final exhibition will be made by Amit and Naroop in collaboration with the Sikh Coalition.
Your submission will be reviewed by Amit and Naroop, the Sikh Coalition and a panel of prominent leaders from a variety of business and arts backgrounds:
- Phil Yu, Blogger, Angry Asian Man
- H. Guy Collier, Partner, McDermott Will & Emery
- Norma Pichardo, Executive Director, Television Academy Foundation
- Mitch Barnett, Vice Chairman, Cushman & Wakefield
- Sharon Matthews, Senior Vice President, Wells Fargo
For more details about the Singh Project and the selection process, please click here
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org