October 28, 2016 (Sacramento, CA) – For the fifth consecutive year, the Sikh Coalition calls on Californians to engage this November in Sikh Awareness and Appreciation Month. On November 9, Assemblymember Jim Cooper is scheduled to hold an official ceremony introducing his member resolution for this California state initiative. In the interim, lawmakers and other government officials are already organizing events promoting Sikh awareness and appreciation.
“I have a large Sikh community in my district and I worked with community members on a bill to make California the first state to recognize the 1984 Anti-Sikh Pogroms. November 2016 marks the 32nd anniversary of these horrific attacks, and it’s important that we take this time to recognize the significant contributions of our Sikh community,” said Assemblymember Cooper.
After helping to protect Sikh history in California in July, the Sikh Coalition secured safe passage of AB-2845, a groundbreaking new anti-bullying law in California in September. Building off this momentum, the Sikh Coalition calls upon the California community to actively organize and participate in local activities this month. Here are several ways that you and your children can get involved:
- Arrange for a Sikh Awareness and bullying prevention presentation to be delivered at your local school or place of business.
- Work with your local city council or school district to pass your own Sikh Awareness and Appreciation month resolution. Contact Harjit Kaur at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Order a “Who are the Sikhs” poster to display in your local school, library, or place of business.
- Ask your local library to host a Sikh book reading or put up a display about Sikh Americans.
- Join us for Sikh Awareness Night with the LA Clippers on Nov. 9th. Tickets almost all gone!
“We commend California for promoting and fostering Sikh awareness during this period of hateful rhetoric and rising hate violence,” said Harjit Kaur, Community Development Manager at the Sikh Coalition.
The Sikh Coalition provides free materials for Sikh Awareness and Appreciation Month. For more information, go to www.sikhcoalition.org/casikhs
or contact our California Community Development Manager, Harjit Kaur, directly at email@example.com
. We look forward to working together to ensure that all Sikhs may practice their faith freely and fearlessly.