June 8, 2017 (New York, NY) - On Saturday, June 10th, an organization designated as a hate group
plans to hold anti-Muslim protests in over 25 cities nationwide. These protesters are likely to be hostile toward immigrants and religious minorities, including Sikhs. Given the inflammatory tone of these protests – and in light of recent hateful attacks in Kansas, Washington, and Oregon – the Sikh Coalition urges Sikhs to be vigilant in or near the cities listed below.
1. Share Gurdwara Security Toolkit
– Please print or email our gurdwara security toolkit
and share with your gurdwara. Ask your gurdwara to designate a committee member to oversee safety and security issues.
2. Report Hate Incidents
– Please report hate incidents (including harassment, threats, vandalism, or violence) at reporthate.org
. If you require legal assistance, please fill out our legal request form
3. Organize Interfaith Community Service Projects
– One of the best ways to reduce hate crime risk is by organizing interfaith community service projects
. Ask your gurdwara to partner with charities and other religious groups – including Christian churches, Jewish synagogues, Hindu mandirs, and Muslim mosques – on interfaith community service projects.
CITIES WHERE PROTESTS ARE PLANNED
San Bernardino, California
Santa Clara, California
St. Paul, Minnesota
Kansas City, Missouri
New York, New York
Syracuse, New York
Raleigh, North Carolina
Virginia Beach, Virginia
As always, the Sikh Coalition urges you to practice your faith fearlessly.