September 2, 2020 (New York, NY) -- Almost six months after the COVID-19 pandemic was declared a national emergency, Sikh community members from coast to coast continue to step up and support their neighbors in need. The Sikh Coalition has helped bring local and national media attention to seva initiatives taking place in 14 states, and we continue working to drive positive educational news coverage to these inspiring sevadaars.
In July, CNN published another national-level feature
on Sikh community service that introduced their audience of millions to sangats nationwide. The Sikh Coalition worked extensively with the CNN reporter, Evan Simko-Bednarski, to provide interviewees for the article and to ensure accurate reporting of the details around the Sikh faith and community. This CNN story joins similar recent national news coverage in the New York Times
and the Associated Press
, along with 50 positive local media stories in 14 different states.
In addition to the abovementioned national features, as well as the stories we shared in April
and in June
, additional new examples of this successful media engagement include:
- A gurdwara in Oviedo, Florida, which has served hundreds of meals weekly;
- Two Sikh teens in Fremont, California, who have connected community members and healthcare workers through “Cards for COVID Heroes;”
- A Sikh youth group in St. Louis, Missouri, which has supported low-income families through food drives;
- A group of Sikh women in Glen Cove, New York, who have put together packages of food for local families and are collaborating with an area high school’s ongoing food drive; and
- A gurdwara in Jacksonville, Florida, which has distributed meals, masks, and water to the city’s homeless population.
If you or someone you know is taking part in a seva initiative in response to the pandemic, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
or reply directly to this email. We are happy to brainstorm ways to help you get the positive message out.
We continue to work with sangats across the country to highlight the seva that they are doing to help their communities. This ongoing project continues to further the Sikh Coalition’s mission to raise the Sikh American profile by reaching millions of Americans in a sustainable and cost-effective way.
As always, the Sikh Coalition urges you to practice your faith fearlessly.