ADA Education Fund Congressional Briefings: Youth Unemployment
Many parts of the population have been hit hard by the unemployment crisis, but often overlooked are America’s youth. The next in a series of Congressional Briefings, the ADA Education Fund will host a panel to discuss the magnitude of youth unemployment and explore ways to address it.
When: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 from 12:00 noon – 1:30 PM
Where: 2456 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington DC
- Kisha Bird, Senior Policy Analyst for the Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP)
- Reese Neader, Policy Director at the Roosevelt Institute Campus Network
- Veronica Nolan, Executive Director at the Urban Alliance
- Heidi Shierholz, Economist at the Economic Policy Institute
- Rev. Lennox Yearwood Jr., President and CEO of the Hip Hop Caucus
Find out more information here or on our Facebook event page!
Equality for New York
Today’s the deadline for Marriage Equality in New York! It’s the last scheduled day of the legislative session, where the marriage equality bill awaits a vote in the senate. We’re one vote shy of a making New York the largest state in the country to permit all adults to join in permanent legal relationships, regardless of sexual orientation.
If you want to help, please consider calling to the following swing votes and ask them to support marriage equality (especially if you live in New York).
Sen. Greg Ball (Putnam County) - (518) 455-3111
Sen. Joe Griffo (Utica) - (518) 455-3334
Sen. Mark Grisanti (Buffalo, Grand Island, Niagara Falls) - (518) 455-3240
Sen. Andrew Lanza (Staten Island) - (518) 455-3215
Sen. Jack Martins (Nassau County/Garden City) - (518) 455-3265
You can also help by contributing to ADA to help us continue fighting for social and economic justice all over the nation!
Rally for DC Democracy
Join us this Saturday at 11 AM as we rally in front of the White House for DC Democracy. Thus far, the White House has been silent in the debate on providing full democracy for the residents of our nation’s capital. Together, we’ll stand with other progressive partners to demand democracy, full equality and full citizenship. It’s time to retire “Taxation Without Representation” from the Nation’s Capital once and for all.
- This week ADA National Director Michael J. Wilson will be a guest on the radio show “Inside Government” sponsored by the American Federation of Government Employees. You can listen to the show here.
- ADA Secretary, Mary von Euler, wrote this great Letter to the Editor in the Washington Post in response to Sen. Joe Lieberman's June 10 Washington Forum piece, “Medicare in 2031?".
- Yet another attack on unions -- Bob Lucore describes the latest GOP attempt to weaken organized labor. Beware of "Bizarro World".
- Woody Ginsburg, long-time longtime labor economist and Chair ADA’s Policy Committee, passed away last week. A memorial service will be July 16 from 1:30 p.m. to approximately 4 p.m. at Towson Unitarian Church off of the 695 Beltway near Baltimore. Here is a link to his obituary in the Washington Post.
Donate to ADA
ADA: Proudly. Staunchly. Liberal
Click here to donate
How Liberal Are You?
Answer the same questions ADA used to score lawmakers in the ADA Voting Record. Then, compare yourself!
Click here to take the quiz
Tell a Friend
Have a liberal friend itching to get active? Tell them about ADA in one easy step.
Click here to tell a friend about ADA