Inauguration Day Celebration Breakfast
Thank you for joining with ADA to celebrate the historic inauguration of Barack Obama. Below is an update on the event and some important information about logistics on Inauguration Day.
The Inauguration Day breakfast will be held from 8-10am at the Hyatt Capitol Hill - 400 New Jersey Avenue - Washington, DC 20001
Please tell entrance security you are attending the ADA event in the Hyatt's Capitol Room.
Special Guests will include:
- Representative Jerrold Naddler (D-NY)
- Representative Jim McDermott (D-WA)
- Representative Maxine Waters (D-CA)
- Representative Martin Heinrich (D-NM)
- Professor James K. Galbraith - Professor Galbraith will be signing his book, Predator State
Around 10am, ADA members will meet in front of the hotel and walk together to the National Mall to witness first hand this historic inauguration. Dress warmly (casual attire at the breakfast is fine).
There have been many warnings about the difficulty of travel in Washington , D.C. It is important to heed these warnings.
Because of these warnings, Members of Congress are as uncertain as the rest of us about travel on Inauguration Day, but they expect to get to the event early. We expect most or all Members of Congress to appear and speak between 8:00 AM and 9:30 AM. If you wish to hear them, plan to get there early.
The following are suggestions for getting to the Hyatt Capitol Hill and around Washington:
1. Under no circumstances should you drive. Much of downtown DC is blocked off for the duration of the inauguration and the parade and most of the bridges from Virginia are closed to vehicular traffic. Previously we stated that parking would be available at the Hyatt Capitol Hill. Since then we have been informed that the Secret Service has closed New Jersey Avenue near the Hyatt and therefore you will not be able to reach the hotel parking by car on Inauguration Day.
2. Walking is the best bet if you are staying close to Union Station.
3. Metro is the next best bet, but still might be difficult. The Metro is expected to be busy as well. Some practical Metro suggestions: Get on the Metro early. It opens at 4:00 AM, getting on by 6:30 AM is probably a good idea to arrive by 8:00 AM. If the Metro is really jammed at in-town stops and it is impossible to get on the Metro because of the crowds, take the Metro the reverse direction to the end of the line and then get on trains entering town (it worked during major snow storms in the past). Union Station on the Red line is just 3 blocks from the Hyatt. Download Metro's Inauguration Day Service Plans here.
4. Metro is running 23 special rapid bus corridors to carry thousands of people heading to the National Mall on Inauguration Day.
5. If you are going to attend the inauguration ceremony itself, security checkpoints will open for ticketed guests at 8:00 am and the musical prelude begins at 10 am. The inauguration committee advises arriving no later than 9 a.m.
4 a.m. -- Metro opens (at rush-hour service and fare levels).
8 a.m. -- Security gates open for ticketed guests
9 a.m. -- Ceremony gates open.
10 a.m. -- Musical prelude.
11:30 a.m. - Formal inaugural program begins
Noon -- Inaugural address, luncheon for the President and Members of Congress, departure of President Bush and parade.
2:30 - Inaugural parade begins
7 p.m. -- Rush-hour Metro service levels end.
2 a.m. -- Metro closes.
Donate to ADA
ADA: Proudly. Staunchly. Liberal
Click here to donate
How Liberal Are You?
Answer the same questions ADA used to score lawmakers in the ADA Voting Record. Then, compare yourself!
Click here to take the quiz
Tell a Friend
Have a liberal friend itching to get active? Tell them about ADA in one easy step.
Click here to tell a friend about ADA