Prefer to make a phone call instead?
Use the handy tool at Govtrack.us to look up your Senators and Representative - along with their office phone numbers! Then you can call with the same message as above:
Hello, I'm a constituent and a voter (and tell 'em if you are a farmer!). We need a full, fair five-year farm bill for our nation’s farmers and eaters – but the farm bill Congress passes can’t be just any farm bill. It needs to reform outdated farm subsidies, protect natural resources, and invest in a healthier future for all of us. And it must include funding for all of the innovative, low-cost programs helping support beginning farmers, local food, organics, and rural development – which currently lack funding under the current farm bill extension. These issues are critical to me and to others in our community – and we need your leadership on this issue now!
What’s at stake if Congress doesn’t pass a bill?
We’ll lose out on programs that help train future farmers and invest in the next generation of growers. We’ll say goodbye to funding for programs that improve healthy food access by linking more consumers to local farmers’ markets and CSAs. We’ll miss out on programs that create economic opportunities for rural communities and increase market opportunities for farmers. And, to add insult to injury, outdated subsidies will remain intact. In short, we’ll lose out on this chance to build a better future for our nation’s food and farms.
Congress needs to hear from YOU – their constituents – today. Let your legislators know our nation’s farmers and eaters can’t go another year without a farm bill – we need a full and fair five-year farm bill, NOW!
Programs Currently Stranded Without Funding:
- Farmers Market and Local Food Promotion Program
- Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program
- Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative
- Specialty Crop (fruit and vegetable) Research Initiative
- Value-Added Producer Grants program
- National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program
- Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers
- Conservation Reserve Transition Incentives Program
- Organic Production and Market Data Initiative
- Rural Microentrepreneur Assistance Program
- Rural Energy for America Program