As Summer days are waning into Fall, so are the final days leading up to the Veto Session on September 11. There is still time to act on HB 253!
This bill would impact young children, senior citizens, middle class working families and college students. HB253 is the so-called "tax cut" bill that would give the average Missourian a tax cut big enough to buy a Big Mac and the favored few would get $1200 bucks a year. And it would devastate our public schools, eliminate critical services for the mentally ill, and raise taxes on prescription drugs and college textbooks.
TAKE ACTION NOW: CONTACT YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVE TO SUSTAIN THE VETO!
· HB 253 would greatly impact the state funding of education already under-
funded by $620 million.
· It threatens early childhood education, especially Parents as Teachers, and
future programs to fund preschool for all Missouri children.
· Missouri is already a competitive tax state. Missouri’s corporate tax rate is
the seventh lowest in the nation.
· Missouri would need to create 500,000 new jobs in order take in the amount
of revenue equal to the size of the cuts.
· It would diminish public health and safety, and deteriorating infrastructure,
including roads and bridges.
CALL, MAIL OR E-MAIL YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVE!
Why contact your state representative? The MISSOURI HOUSE needs 109 votes to override the governor’s veto. This is the chamber where the override needs to be defeated! Even if you know your state representative’s position contact him or her. Let your state representative know your thoughts.