This event is inactive
Wed, Mar 20, 2013
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM
2013 Students' Rights Conference
Because you don’t check your rights at the schoolhouse gate…
Stand Up/Speak Up: Students' Rights Conference, was held on Wednesday, March 20, 2013. Over 100 high school students from six counties attended and spent the day learning about their Constitutional rights.
STAND UP/SPEAK UP Students' Rights Conference
-Tinker v. Des Moines
Who? You and high school students from across Tennessee
What? A FREE conference for students like you to talk about issues that matter to you! (Pre-registration required- just fill out the quick form below).
- Free Speech (students' rights related to speech, Internet expression, and dress)
- Freedom of the Press (what does freedom of the press mean for high school newspapers?)
- Religious Freedom (the landscape of religious freedom and religious intolerance in Tennessee and how it impacts youth in your day-to-day lives)
- Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender Equality (how the First Amendment protects LGBT students and organizations in school)
- Interactions with Law Enforcement (your rights and responsibilities when encountering the police)
- Tools for Change (spotlighting student activists and exploring tools for making change on issues that affect YOU!)
- And more...
When? Registration opens at 9:30 a.m.; the conference begins at 10:00 a.m. (lunch will be provided)
Where? Martin Professional Development Center, 2400 Fairfax Avenue, Nashville, TN
This event is sponsored by a generous grant from The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee.
Martin Professional Development Center
2400 Fairfax Avenue
Nashville, TN 37212