Petition to Open Up the Presidential Debates


Background: RootsAction cofounder Jeff Cohen's in-depth column

We deserve 4-way debates. We will deliver this petition and your names and comments to ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox Broadcasting, PBS, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, Univision, and Telemundo.

To Network TV Executives:
Tell the Commission on Presidential Debates and major-party campaigns that they no longer control the debate process and that you intend to present debates – controlled by journalists – that include four candidates: Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Gary Johnson (Libertarian) and Jill Stein (Green Party). If Trump or Clinton balk, let them know you’re happy to leave their podium empty.

We urge you to follow a recommendation made by a citizens' task force connected to American University's law school: Include presidential candidates who are on enough state ballots to have a mathematical chance of winning, if they either register at 5 percent in national public opinion polls OR register a majority in national polls asking eligible voters which candidates they would like to see included in the debates.



101-125 of 19941 signatures
Number Date Name Location Please add comment.
19841 2.2 years ago Doug Clingan Harwich, MA
19840 2.2 years ago Anonymous MD Polls are not a good determining factor for inclusion in the national debates. Polls should not be use as the entrance mark. If candidates are available on enough state (and DC) general elec...
19839 2.2 years ago Anonymous Hope Valley, RI
19838 2.2 years ago mathew williamson colo, IA i would like to hear more than 2 infentile people attack each other i would like to know what they are going to do
19837 2.2 years ago Melissa Waltiere Liberal, KS Please assert your power and allow the third party candidates to be known.
19836 2.2 years ago Richard Waltiere Liberal, KS There is no reason that we should not have open discussions about real issues spoken from many different perspectives. This world needs openness for the proliferation of truth. Please let all sides...
19835 2.2 years ago Cynthia Macabuhay Carson, CA
19834 2.2 years ago Ron Ringler Long Beach, CA No nation can be considered democratic if it's media excludes some political parties while propping up others.
19833 2.2 years ago Glen Freeman vancouver, WA
19832 2.2 years ago William Duran Phoneix, AZ
19831 2.2 years ago Anonymous Bloomfield, NJ Let the people know their options.
19830 2.2 years ago Aaron Davis Pittsboro, NC
19829 2.2 years ago Anonymous VA We the People Deserve to hear our options.
19828 2.2 years ago Jane Simpson Chevy Chase, MD
19827 2.2 years ago Laura Genna Bloomfield, NJ Only 9% of voters voted for Clinton or Trump in the primaries. The other 91% of voters have the right to compare all four candidates side-by-side and make an informed decision.
19826 2.2 years ago Sean Pappalardo CA What's the point of televising debates if all mathematically viable choices aren't present? Besides, think of the ratings boost (and the advertising revenue from ads on either side of the debate...
19825 2.2 years ago Anonymous VA
19824 2.2 years ago Anonymous MA
19823 2.2 years ago Anonymous Shreveport, LA I would watch this one. Not interested in the one from Monday night 9/26. oDon't care to watch those 2 only.
19822 2.2 years ago Jason Straub Jenkintown, PA
19821 2.2 years ago Charlotte Crawley Shreveport , LA
19820 2.2 years ago Anonymous FL We must have fair representation in front of a broader audience
19819 2.2 years ago mike pastore melbourne, FL bring back the league of woman voters!!
19818 2.2 years ago andria rossi SALEM, MA It is critical that they participate in the next debate.
19817 2.2 years ago Carlos Oviedo CA
Next ->

By taking action you will be automatically signed up for action alerts from Roots Action. We consider your contact information to be private and confidential. We will NOT disclose it to any other entity unless you specifically authorize us to do so. You can unsubscribe at the bottom of any email you receive from us.