|Share via email or on Facebook/Twitter|
The United States is recognized globally for having the broadest and most powerful protections for free speech in the world. But those protections are now under attack.
On January 20, Donald J. Trump will take the oath of office and swear to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. During his presidential campaign, his statements and actions called into question his commitment to constitutional principles, including the freedom of expression. Of specific concern were his threats and insults directed toward journalists, arbitrary limitations on media access and comments in support of potential legal reforms that would weaken First Amendment protections.
In the face of this very real threat to our most basic rights, we must stand united to defend the First Amendment, the very foundation of our democratic system. Please join us and become a co-signer of the pledge to:
- Defend the vital role and the rights of a free press in a democracy and all those performing acts of journalism with the broadest possible access to matters of public interest and without fear of government interference or retaliation;
- Protect our right to peaceful protest and assembly, and not allow the government to criminalize dissent;
- Stand up for religious liberty and pluralism, and against the persecution of religious minorities;
- Safeguard existing laws and court decisions that limit the use of libel and slander defamation lawsuits to intimidate critics of public figures;
- Speak out to reject the bigotry and hate that are creating a widespread and alarming chilling effect on freedom of expression for people of color, Muslims, Jews, the disabled, immigrants, LGBTQ, and women.
People Demanding Action joins our partners in demanding that First Amendment Rights be respected.
Find out more about People Demanding Action
You are subscribed to People Demanding Action as
Follow People Demanding Action